Real Madrid Legend Iker Casillas Retires From Football at 39
Real Madrid and Spain legend announced his retirement from football at the age of 39. Iker Casillas suffered a heart attack in May 2019 with his Portuguese team Porto. The announcement came after it was said that Casillas was not able to fully recover to continue with the first team.
Iker Casillas announced his retirement in an emotional message posted on his Twitter account on Tuesday.
His retirement came after a very successful career with the football giants Real Madrid and his Spanish national team. Here are the legends career achievements:
- Won the 2010 FIFA World Cup with Spain.
- European Champion winner in 2008 and 2012.
- Won the Champions League with Real Madrid in 2000, 2002 and 2014.
- Five-time La Liga champion with Real Madrid in 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2012.
- Two time Spanish Cup winner with Real Madrid in 2011 and 2014.
- Four-time Spanish Super Cup winner with Real Madrid in 2002, 2004, 2009, 2013.
- Primeira Liga winner with FC Porto in 2018.
- FIFA Club World Cup winner with Real Madrid in 2014.
- Two time UEFA Super Cup winner with Real Madrid in 2003 and 2015.
- Two-time Inter-Continental Cup winner with Real Madrid in 1998 and 2002.
- Two-time Portuguese Super Cup winner in 2018 and 2019 with FC Porto.
- Under 20 FIFA World Cup winner with Spain in 1999.
- Under 16 European Champion in 1997.
As we can see that he had a very long career spanning to almost 23 years. He is both a Real Madrid and Spain legend and one of the most successful goalkeepers of all time. Some people say he should have won the ballon d’Or because at his peak Iker Casillas was the best goalkeeper in the world and the greatest of all time.
Casillas left Real Madrid in 2015 and joined FC Porto for a transfer fee of €6m. The move was controversial because a lot of Real Madrid fans wanted him to stay and even retire at the club. At the time there was a lot of criticism of the 39-year-old’s performance and being past his peak he was not the same.
The football legend has made his national team debut on 3 June 2000 and has made 168 appearances. He has also made 881 club appearances of which 725 is for Real Madrid. The legend holds the record for the most appearances in the Champions League with 177 games. He also holds the record for the most clean sheet in the competition with 57 clean sheet.
In a written message Real Madrid posted a tribute to the legend.
‘Real Madrid CF wants to show his appreciation, admiration and love for one of the greatest legends of our club and world football.
‘The best goalkeeper in the history of Real Madrid and Spanish football came to our house when he was nine years old.
‘Here our shirt was formed and defended for 25 years, being forever one of our most iconic captains. Iker Casillas has earned the love of Real Madrid and is a benchmark of the values that represent Real Madrid.
‘Today, one of the most important footballers in our 118-year history, a player whom we love and admire, a goalkeeper who has enlarged the legend of Real Madrid with his work and with exemplary behavior both inside and outside, says goodbye as a professional player.’