A video of Cristiano Ronaldo meeting a 10-year-old boy whose dad was killed in the devastating earthquakes that hit Syria and Turkey last month has gone viral.
Christian Atsu, a former Chelsea and Newcastle football player, was among the more than 45,000 people who died in the earthquakes that occurred on February 6. In the aftermath of the earthquake, countless people suffered injuries and were left without access to heat, electricity, or water.
Nabil Saeed, a Syrian refugee, received an invitation to Saudi Arabia when it was discovered that he had told a Saudi Arabian rescue team that had gone to Syria to assist in the aftermath of the disaster that he wanted to watch Ronaldo play football.
The clip was subsequently shared by Turki Al-Sheikh, Chairman of the Saudi Board of Directors of General Entertainment Authority, who asked for help identifying the boy on social media. Eventually, the boy was tracked down and invited to Saudi Arabia.
He attended Al-Nassr’s match against Al-Batin at the Marsool Park Stadium alongside his mother. Al-Nassr won the game 3-1 in thrilling fashion after finding themselves a goal down going into the final moments of the game but found the net three times in 12 stoppage time minutes to earn a valuable three points.
The excitement and happiness was visible on Nabil’s face, as he said: “I cannot believe I am in Saudi Arabia,” right before he was approached by the Portuguese icon Cristiano Ronaldo.
The two shared a heartwarming hug as the youngster told the Al Nassr striker that he loved him. The youngster also did Ronaldo’s iconic ‘Siuu’ celebration with him.